Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Ring Knot Tutorial

As mentioned in a previous post, there was a period of a couple years when all I did were what I call "ring knots." These are circular knot, usually (though not always) comprised of one continuous line weaving over and around itself in a symmetrical pattern.
After getting quite a bit of practice with these pieces, I got to a point where I had a specific process that I would go through to create each one. Remembering what a pain in the ass it had been to learn how to put them together in the first time without any form of instruction, I thought it would be helpful to others to put together a tutorial detailing my process. As the tutorial itself says, there are any number of ways to go about creating these kinds of knots - mine is a good way, but it's by no means the only way, and I'm sure there are benefits and drawbacks to the others. If you're going to do this kind of methodical, geometric art, it pays to fiddle around to see what works best for you.

(The thumbnail below doesn't expand to a size that is readable. Check out the tutorial at my DeviantART site, here: Ring Knot Tutorial)

No comments:

Post a Comment