Saturday, August 4, 2012

Been a long long time

Hey, internet!  So I know it's been a while since I last posted anything, but I promise there are very valid reasons for that to be the case.  In the couple of months since the Boneyard show, I have (a) bought a house, (b) moved into that house, (c) started a new job, and best of all, (d) done a bunch of art!

As a reward for your patience, here's the newest crop of papercraft and drawings/paintings:
 One of the first things to get done after getting settled into the new house?  CELTIC WHITEBOARD WALL!  I have been wanted a giant whiteboard in my office ever since I first learned this was possible a few years ago, and I finally have one!  The paint I used (Rustoleum) was total crap and doesn't look great, so that's too bad.  But it's got a Celtic theme!  How cool is that!
 A commission I'm still working on, but have almost finished.  A friend from California wanted a set of eight pendant-necklaces to give out as Christmas gifts.  As you might guess, her family people are the Irish Cooneys and Connollys, so I'm putting together matching pendants with Ogham script versions of the older Irish pronunciations, complete with fancy little info cards.  Because I'm a classy, professional artist.
 A fun project.  There's this guy on DeviantART, Knotty Inks, who does absolutely incredible Nordic and Celtic tattoo designs in black and white, with all this amazing 3-D texture stuff, and it was just too cool not to try and emulate.  My own design kind of pales in comparison, but I still think it was a good exercise, and I look forward to doing more stuff like this in the future.

 I also entered this contest on DeviantART, for the Celtic Art group, the theme of which is the Irish fairy goddess, Cliodhna.  I'm allowed to submit up to two pieces, so this first one will be a collaboration with my sister (whose own awesome art can be found at Plum and Leather) - I've done the basic line-art, and she's going to paint it.  It's going to be awesome, and nice to work with her again.
 My second submission for the Cliodhna contest was a solo thing, and much more abstract.  I took some of the iconic imagery from her associated legends - birds, tree, water/waves - and combined them with the Ogham "Cliodhna" floating on the waves.  In most of her stories, the goddess is either killed at sea, or washed back to the land of the fairy by the crashing waves, so it seemed appropriate.
 Just a couple of doodles, but fun ones.  A shoulder tattoo of Odin, and a general Celtic dog tattoo.  The Odin design is actually my first time designing a tattoo specifically fitted to a particular body part, so this was a good step in a potentially lucrative direction.
 My most recent projects - a couple of bookmarks to flesh out my Etsy shop (CeltShop.Etsy.com).  The one on the left is all lines and stippling with a technical pen, and the one on the right is all metallic acrylics, so it's super shiny and pretty.
 And, finally, a commission for a coworker who wanted a personalized stamp for herself.  Depicted here, her name in Ogham script in the middle, and a fun knot design around the edges.  She said she thought the grainier look sounded cool, which is why it looks textured and aged like that.

That's all for today, folks.  Hopefully it'll tide you over for a bit, but I'm doing a really ridiculous amount of art nowadays, so I wouldn't be surprised to find another post in the next week.  As always, drop me a line if you're interested in anything you see here, or if you'd like me to design something different for you.  Or even if you just have questions/comments!  See you soon!


1 comment:

  1. Awesomeness!! I've doodled at celtic art over the years but never really made a concentrated effort to study the more traditional stuff and the legends, so forth. You have inspired me to!

    ReplyDelete