Thursday, December 8, 2011

A Pendant!

So, in the weeks preceding this blog's birth, I'd been trying to figure out how to move toward professionalization in my art. My sister, a professional artist in the making, gave me some good advice. Art on paper is not hard to find, and especially with design-work like mine, people are much more interested in art on things - carving, sculpture, etc.
So for my birthday, she made me a jewelry kit. It contained all the basic tools I'd need to start putting my art into pendants and earrings. I was crazy busy in the weeks following my birthday, but finals are almost over, and having a bit more time on my hands, I finally got around to trying out my kit.

Step 1: draw the thing.
Step 2: Color the thing, and laminate it with clear packaging tape.
Step 3-5ish: Assemble the tools. Cut the thing out to the proper size. Mix the epoxy in a disposable container, and put a little epoxy into the bezel, followed by the thing, followed by more epoxy.
Step 6: Let it sit for at least 12 hours, probably longer. Don't touch it. My sister was adamant about this.
Step 7: Appreciate the thing you made. Except...I think I did something wrong with the epoxy, because it came out all bubbly, and you can't really see the design from more than a foot away. Oh well. Live and learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment